Custom content full titles can be easily segmented into chapters or key concepts without having to upload or associate physical video clip files to your titles. Any full title, in MP4 format can now be segmented right from the Custom Content Titles grid, or from within the edit title page.
Click on the number (0) in the # Segments column of the Titles grid to open the Manage Segments tool. From within the edit title page, click on the Segments button to open the tool.
If you have created segments for a title, the number of segments will be reflected here instead of zero.
Once the Manage Segments window is open, you will be presented with the below interface containing:
- Full title video player
- Segments grid containing 5 empty segment rows (empty rows will not show up on the platform)
- Add New Segment button
- Saved Edits button
By default, the manage segments tool starts with 5 empty segment rows to make adding segments as easy as possible. If you would like to add more segments beyond the initial 5, click on the Add New Segment button to add a new row to the segments grid. Clicking this button will cause the manage segments window to briefly disappear and reload with your newly added segment row. NO pre-existing segments or data you were working on will be lost, even if you have not saved. New segment rows automatically appear at the bottom of the grid and assume the next available sequence number. Each row in the grid represents a segment of this full title.
Blank segment rows will be ignored and not added to the platform for other users to see. If you end up not using all 5 default segments, you can delete the blank rows using the delete icon on the far right of the grid row.
Once you have finished adding segments, click the Save Edits button to save all changes and update the full title. New segments and edits to existing segments require 24 hours before they will be updated on the video platform.
Creating segments is a quick and easy process using the below options in the segment grid and the controls available in the video player. Each segment contains the following elements:
- Thumbnail - Currently, only Infobase hosted custom content can support segment level thumbnail selection. We are working on a method to select a thumbnail from your own server. If you are not Infobase hosted, you will not see the blue thumbnail icon, and the default custom content thumbnail will be used for every segment created right now. If you see the blue thumbnail icon, clicking on it will capture the current frame on the video player and set that as the segment thumbnail. You may change the player position and update the thumbnail at any time by clicking the blue thumbnail icon again.
- Sequence # - The sequence of the segment, which controls the order that they appear in on the video player page.
- Title - Text field to enter the title of a segment.
- Start - Use the blue clock icon to set the current start time of the segment, based on where the video player is currently stopped. You may use the scrub bar and drag the play head back and forth if desired. The jump to start, blue icon will start the video from the current time code stored in the start time field. This is a text field and can be edited manually using your keyboard.
- End - Use the blue clock icon to set the current end time of the segment, based on where the video player is currently stopped. You may use the scrub bar and drag the play head back and forth if desired. The jump to 5 seconds before end, blue icon, will start the video from 5 seconds before the current time code stored in the end time field. This is useful for setting the start time of the next segment after you have a new row. Clicking play after using this button will cause the player to play until it reaches the current end time. It will stop automatically, allowing you to set the start time of the next segment.
- Description - Text field to enter the description of a segment.
- Options - Delete icon to remove the segment row from the grid. This change will not be saved unless you click the Save Edits button at some point during the editing process.
Once you have finished the segment creation process for a title, click the Save Edits button at the bottom or top to save all changes. 24 hours are required before your new segments will be searchable on the platform.